COVID-19 Resources for the Canadian Choral Community
Choral Canada continues to monitor news and collect vetted information about the impact of COVID-19 on the Canadian Choral community. This page is intended to help lead you to information and resources so that you can get through this challenging time.
If you have a resource that you think should be added, please contact us.
If you have a resource that you think should be added, please contact us.
Current Canadian Public Health Updates
Research and Data
- Updates from NFHS study dated March 19, 2021
- NEW: Research Study: Performing Arts Aerosol Study – Third Release of Data (Nov. 13, 2020)
- Georgia Tech Event Risk Assessment Planning Tool (currently does not represent Canadian data or case prevalence)
- Colorado State Mask Efficiency Evaluation Tool (including singers masks)
- Literature reference list on COVID-19, choirs, and singing (compiled by I. Taurins 17/7/20)
- Summary of Chorus America Fall 2020 Covid-19 Impact Survey
Choral Canada National Webinars
- Navigating Copyright for Choirs in Canada - Dec 2020 - with presenters from SOCAN, Entandem Licensing, and CMRRA, Choral Canada and Edwards Creative Law. The webinar aimed to answer many questions about copyright in the Canadian choral context. The recording and powerpoint were sent to all Choral Canada members, as well as non-members who purchased a ticket for the webinar. If you are a non-member and you wish to receive the recording and powerpoint, please contact us.
- Navigating Masks for Choirs - Dec 2020 - Topics covered included the current science on masks, focusing on the different types, fabrics, filtration, and fit for masks, and a short summary on tips from choral conductors on using masks with children and adult choirs. Presenters included two professors from McMaster University, Dr. Catherine Clase, Physician and Epidemiologist, and Prof. Charles-François de Lannoy, Chemical Engineer; Joan Fearnley, Soprano, Choral Conductor, and creator of the open source Singer's Mask project. The recording and powerpoint were sent to all Choral Canada members, as well as non-members who purchased a ticket for the webinar. If you are a non-member and you wish to receive the recording and powerpoint, please contact us.
- Risk and Precautions for Choirs - Aug 2020 - this very informative webinar featured Dr. Juliette O'Keefe from National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health. Insights from the NCCEH review of world-wide research on choral singing and the transmission of Covid-19, from a Canadian perspective. Click here to view the presentation slides.
- Covid-19 and Choral Music in Canada - May 2020 - this webinar was intended to provide information on the current situation of COVID-19 (as of May 2020) as it pertained to the Canadian choral community. A scientific overview of COVID-19 was provided by Dr. Joan Robinson (Pediatrician and University of Alberta Professor, specializing in Infectious Diseases). Attendees heard from the Minister of Canadian Heritage and choral leaders from across the country shared their strategies and creative ideas, and offered messages of inspiration and hope.
- Let's Sing Safely - Open Letter from Choral Canada
- Messaging from Choral Canada - please promote!
- Choral Canada's COVID-19 Survey Responses and Analysis Summary
- Infographic on the impact of COVID-19 on Canadian Choirs
- Canadian Choral Advocacy Network (Facebook group)
- Advocacy in Nova Scotia - Music students raising their voices over not being able to sing in school
- Nova Scotia choral leaders meet with Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Robert Strang
- Without our Voices - Song written and performed by students in New Glasgow, NS about the importance of singing in schools
- Advocacy letter from Ontario's Professional Choirs to Minister Elliott (Deputy Premier and Minister of Health), Feb 2021
- Advocacy letter from Coalition for Music Education in Canada - Aug 2020
Planning A Season in Uncertain Times
- Hybrid Solutions for a Live Art Form
- Safe in Sound - Reopening Checklist for the Live Music Industry (USA) (25/05/21)
- Chorus America: Can my choir sing together safely if we are all vaccinated?
- Connect & Exchange a Summary of National Roundtables for the Canadian Choral Arts Sector (Fall 2020)
- Planning for your Choir in Uncertain Times
- Chorus Connection 2020-2021 Season Planning Guide
- Why, What and How? Planning for the '20-'21 Season (Summer 2020)
- How to Set Up and Lead a Virtual/ Zoom Rehearsal: Includes detailed suggested gear requirements, set up, tips for success. Also available, a free downloadable book on this topic, and more.
- The Decision-Making Process to Return to Live Choral Rehearsals - from Chorus Connection
Masks for Singers
- Constructing Masks for Singers including science and special considerations for the purchasing and masking of masks for singers.
- DIY Masks for Singers, V.3 by Joan Fearnley
- Evidence-Informed Cloth Masks
- Report by CBC's Marketplace on KN95 mask filtration standards.
- Canada Council for the Arts regarding COVID-19
- Heritage Canada regarding COVID-19
- Unison Benevolent Fund
- Government of Canada’s Economic Response Plan for Individuals (including self-employed) and Businesses (including non-profits)
- Emergency Survival Fund for LGBTQ2S artists, performers, tip-based workers
- The AFC
- Petition for compensation for freelance artists following cancellation of cultural events
- Choral Canada’s #SupportYourChoir statement
- Canada Recovery Hiring Program
Provincial Guidelines for Singing and Reopening
- British Columbia
- Reopening Framework (04/05/21)
- Ontario's Three Step Roadmap to Reopen (search "performing arts" for details) (25/05/21)
- Covid-19 Response Framework for colour-coded levels - look for Performing Arts Facilities for guidelines
- Ontario's province-wide shutdown, Jan 2021
- New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia
Provincial Choral Organizations' Covid-19 Resources
- BC Choral Federation Covid-19 Resources
- Choir Alberta’s online tools and resources
- Saskatchewan Choral Federation - Covid-19 Resources
- Manitoba Choral Association Covid-19 Resources
- Choirs Ontario - Covid-19 Resources for Choirs
- Alliance chorale du Québec - guide pour les choeurs (French only)
- Alliance chorale du Quebec - Guide pour un retour à la pratique en toute sécurité (French only)
- New Brunswick Choral Federation
- Nova Scotia Choral Federation Covid-19 Guidelines & Resources
Leading a Choir Online - Resources and Tools
- TECH TALK - Choral Canada National Roundtable on the use of technology in a group singing setting, focusing on both online and hybrid rehearsal and performance formats - Summary
- List of Free Online Resources for Canadians During the COVID-19 Pandemic (DealHack)
- Chorus America Webinars
- Alliance Chorale du Québec (French only)
- Comparisons of distant learning for choir (created by Matt Woodward and Anna Osterman)
- Comparing & Contrasting Free Platforms and Procedures for Online Music Instruction (by Bradley Mariska, assisted by Scott Agster, Erin Holmes, and Heidi Stodola
- Transform Your Choir’s Sound-Exceptional Choral Singing with Bel Canto Principles (by Laurier Fagnan) is available free right now, and is a learning program based on bel canto pedagogy applied to choral singing, with innovative 3D acoustical analyses highlighting “before” and “after” bel canto difference.
- "How to Prevent and Repair Vocal Damage" by The online speech pathology program from Baylor University's Robbins College of Health and Human Sciences.
- Two minutes for Technique Video Series - par Canadian Chamber Choir
- Tech Tips for Virtual Ensembles (by Stanton's Sheet Music)
- Potential setup for a hybrid choral rehearsal, by Laurier Fagnan
- Covid-19 Vaccine Conversation with BC Health Professionals, hosted by BC Choral Federation.
- Coalition for Music Education - Covid-19 Resources and Guidelines
- Reopening, Unmasking, Face to Face teaching from the National (American) Association of Teachers of Singing (April 16, '21) Video | Newsletter
- OMEA's summary list (as of Jan 9 2021) of protocols for music education in provinces and in the schools
- From our friends at ACDA - Resources for Choral Professionals During a Pandemic
- From our friends at Chorus America - Choruses and Covid-19
- Ontario Music Educator's Association - Covid-19 Music Education Framework Document
- Business / Arts
- The Big COVID Survival Choral Doc
- Work In Culture
- Top 2020 Choral Solutions during the pandemic: a fast track to success
- Choirs Unite (English content)
- Entraide au sein de la communauté chorale | COVID-19 (French content)
- Canadian Choral Advocacy Network